Maugham: A BiographyPaperback – April 1, 1984. byTed Morgan(Author), W. Somerset Maugham(Author), Vincent Virga(Illustrator), Eve Metz(Designer)&1more. Hi ferlus sin äälern ääder an wurd faan san unkel aptaanjen. William Somerset Maugham was born on January 25, 1874, in the British Embassy in Paris, France. By the time Maugham was three, his older brothers were all away at boarding school. After a month Maugham gave it up and returned to Whitstable. [8] Two years after Edith's death, Maugham's father died in France of cancer. Venkataramiah, Munagala, 15 October 1938, This page was last edited on 2 January 2021, at 23:01. His first novel Liza of Lambeth (1897) sold out so rapidly that Maugham gave up medicine to write full-time. William Somerset Maugham, better known as W. Somerset Maugham, was born on January 25, 1874, Paris, France. The British novelist William Somerset Maugham (1874-1965), one of the most popular writers in English in the 20th century, is noted for his clarity of style and skill in storytelling. Whether his own orientation disgusted him (as it did many at a time when homosexuality was widely considered a moral failing as well as illegal) or whether he was trying to disguise his leanings, Maugham wrote disparagingly of the gay artist. It was sporadic, being subject to his moods and circumstances. William Somerset Maugham was born at the British Embassy in Paris, France, where his father was an English lawyer handling the legal affairs of the British embassy. I see no need of such idea. View the list When I'm good, I'm very good. This article was most recently revised and updated by, https://www.britannica.com/biography/W-Somerset-Maugham, Spartacus Educational - Biography of William Somerset Maugham, W. Somerset Maugham - Student Encyclopedia (Ages 11 and up). Maugham was the fourth of six sons born in his family. William was the fourth son of six children, of which only four survived. Maugham wrote near the opening of the novel: "... it is impossible always to give the exact unexpurgated words of Liza and the other personages of the story; the reader is therefore entreated with his thoughts to piece out the necessary imperfections of the dialogue. Maugham was sent back to the UK to be cared for by his paternal uncle, Henry MacDonald Maugham, the Vicar of Whitstable, in Kent. Encyclopaedia Britannica's editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree.... From the Italian Renaissance and Victorian era to India and Canterbury, delve into the lives of Dante, Isaac Asimov, and other writers. His mother, Edith Mary, died when he was eight and his father, Robert, a lawyer at the British embassy in Paris, died in 1884. On his death, Maugham donated his copyrights to the Royal Literary Fund. While in the US before that country's entry into the war, he was asked by the British government to make patriotic speeches to induce the US to aid Britain, if not necessarily become an allied combatant. Articles from Britannica Encyclopedias for elementary and high school students. Ian Fleming noted that he wrote the short story "Quantum of Solace" as an homage to Maugham's writing style. Somerset Maugham was the master of the short, concise novel and he could convey relationships, greed and ambition with a startling reality. W. Somerset Maugham(William Somerset Maugham)novelist, playwright, and short story writerBorn: 1/25/1874Birthplace: Paris, France Although he was most well known as an author, W. Somerset Maugham had a varied professional life that included obstetrics … Omissions? Somerset Maugham's Biography. A life in letters: W Somerset Maugham Born 25 January 1874 in Paris. W. Somerset Maugham Biography. He is made up of a dozen people and the greater part of him is myself"—yet in an introduction written for the 1950 Modern Library edition of the work, he plainly states that Walpole was the inspiration for Kear (while denying that Thomas Hardy was the inspiration for the novelist Driffield). It was his home for most of the rest of his life. Somerset Maugham is the opposite of Sylvia Plath. He was among the most popular writers of his era and reputedly the highest paid author during the 1930s. [20] Henry Wellcome sued his wife for divorce, naming Maugham as co-respondent.[21]. In 1938, he visited the Hindu sage Ramana Maharishi at his ashram in India, after whom he modeled the spiritual guru of his 1944 novel The Razor's Edge.[39][40]. In June 1917, Maugham was asked by Sir William Wiseman, an officer of the British Secret Intelligence Service (later named MI6), to undertake a special mission in Russia. By the next year, he had four plays running simultaneously in London, and Punch published a cartoon of Shakespeare biting his fingernails nervously as he looked at the billboards. Share with your friends. He is the founder and director of the Good Law Project, through which he has played a key role in bringing to court a number of legal challenges to the Brexit process, which he opposes. [27] Frequently quoted in this connection is Maugham's statement to his nephew Robin: I tried to persuade myself that I was three-quarters normal and that only a quarter of me was queer—whereas really it was the other way around. Jeffrey Meyers' Somerset Maugham: A Life is an insightful and interesting exposition of Somerset Maugham: the man. W. Somerset Maugham (25 Januarie 1874 – 16 Desember 1965) was 'n Engelse skrywer van romans, toneelstukke en kortverhale.Of human bondage (1915) en The razor's edge (1944) behoort tot sy beste werke.. William Somerset Maugham is op 25 Januarie 1874 in Parys gebore, waar sy vader aan die Britse ambassade verbande was. Maugham insisted the book was more invention than fact. He attended King’s School in Canterbury. He was raised by an uncle, who tried to persuade the youngster to become an accountant or parson; Maugham instead trained as a doctor, although he never practised … Maugham's short fable "An Appointment in Samarra" (1933) is based on an ancient Babylonian myth: Death is both the narrator and a central character. This changed in 1907 with the success of his play Lady Frederick.